This article will show you how to import contacts into your HubSpot Marketing contact database. If you're looking to import contacts into your HubSpot CRM contact database, follow the instructions in this article instead.
The file you are importing must be in .csv file format and it must contain a header row with a column header for each property you are importing data into (First Name, Last Name, Email, etc.). Unless you are using the HubSpot CRM, only contacts with an email address can be imported, so be sure to include Email as one of the column headers. Once you have your .csv file set up and ready to go, follow the steps below to import a list of contacts:
- From your HubSpot Marketing Dashboard, navigate to Contacts > All Contacts.
- Click Import in the upper-right hand corner.
- Click Start a new import.
- On the next screen, select A .csv file, then select Contacts.
- Choose the .csv file you wish to import by clicking Select a file or by dragging the file into the window.
- Once the file is selected, click Upload.
- On the Import details page, enter a name for your import (this will be the name of the static list that's automatically created of your imported contacts).
- Select a Lifecycle Stage for your imported contacts. Note: the Lifecycle Stage property is not designed to go backwards; for example, a contact who is already marked as a Customer cannot be set back to a Lead through an import.
- Under Advanced options, you can choose to add your imported contacts to an existing static list and/or choose a default format for date properties.
- Once you've set the options for your import, click Next, map your properties.
- HubSpot will automatically match the columns in your .csv file to contact properties that currently exist in the CRM. You can choose not to import a column by unchecking the corresponding box to the left. You can also change which property the column is mapped to by selecting a different HubSpot property from the dropdown. If any columns do not match an existing property, they will appear in the Columns without matches section. Click on the dropdown and choose an existing property or click Create new property to set up a new property to which this column will be mapped.
Once you've mapped the columns of your spreadsheet to properties in HubSpot, click Next, confirm additional options.
- On the Email Opt-in page, review the statements and select True to confirm that the contacts you are importing are expecting to hear from you and that you have not purchased the list (importing purchased lists is against our Acceptable Use policy). Place your initials in the field to confirm your selections.
- Click Finish import to import your contacts.
Please note: any existing contacts will be deduplicated by email address and included fields in your import will overwrite existing data.