You can import contacts, companies, deals, tickets, or product information into HubSpot using a file from your computer or contacts directly from Gmail. You can also import contacts using the HubSpot mobile app.
Import objects from a file on your computer
Prepare your import file
- Include a header row in your file and match each column's header with a property. You can include values for any of the default HubSpot properties and/or custom properties. For reference, download a sample import file.
- Contacts are de-duplicated based on email address, so ensure Email is included as one of the column headers. When you import a contact that is already in your database, that contact record will be updated with any new property values from your file.
- Companies are de-duplicated based on the Company domain name property value.
- If you have the Automatically create and associate companies with contacts setting enabled, contacts will be automatically associated with company records after the import by matching the email address domain of the contact to the Company Domain Name on the company record.
- If you want to assign an owner to an object during the import, you can do this by including a Contact Owner column in your file and adding the email address of the user to each row in that column.
- If you don't want to overwrite an existing value for a property, you can either include the current value in the relevant column or leave the cell blank. HubSpot will not overwrite a property value unless there is a new value present in the file.
- If you want to clear a property value, you can do so using a workflow (Marketing Hub Professional and Enterprise or Sales Hub Professional only).
Import your file
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- Click Import in the upper right.
- Click Start an import in the upper right.
- Select File from computer, then select the type of object you want to import.
- Click select a file. In the dialog box, select the import file from your device.
- Once the file is selected, click Next in the bottom right.
- On the Map properties screen, HubSpot will automatically match the columns in your file to your contact properties. You'll see a preview of the property values from your spreadsheet in the Preview Information column.
- If any columns do not match an existing property, click the corresponding dropdown menu:
- Select an existing property, or click Create new property to set up a new property to which this column will be mapped.
- Click Create a new property to set up a new custom property in the pane on the right.
- Click Don't import column to skip importing this column from your spreadsheet. You can also click Do not import rows in unmatched columns to skip any columns without a match.
- After you've mapped all of the columns from your file, click Next.
- On the details screen, enter an Import name.
- If you're importing a file with a date property, use the Date format dropdown menu to confirm how the date values in your spreadsheet are formatted.
- If you've turned on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) functionality in your account, use the Set the legal basis for processing a contact's data dropdown menu to select a lawful basis of processing.
- Once you've set the options for your import, click Finish import in the bottom right.
After the import begins, you'll be taken back to the imports dashboard. Here, you'll see the following:
- Name: the name of the import that was added in the Import Details.
- New: the number of new contacts added. If a contact already existed in your database prior to the import, it will not be included in this value.
- Updated: the number of records updated by the import.
- Error count: the number of records in your import that resulted in an error and could not be processed. Select More > Download errors to see a detailed list of errors.
- Source: the type of import selected.
- User: the name of the user in your account who imported the file.
- Created: the date the import was completed.
If you imported contacts into HubSpot and you want a list of those contacts all in one place, you can create a list from the imports dashboard:
- Hover over the name of the contact import and click More > New list to open the list builder.
- Click the pencil icon edit in the top-left corner and give your list a name.
- Click the AND or OR to add more criteria to your list.
- When you are done, click Save.
Please note: if you import your contacts into HubSpot, a list will not automatically be created for this import in your account. You will need to create a list using the steps above, or by using the Import criteria in your lists tool.
You can also use the Import filter to segment your contacts, companies, and deals:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to contacts, companies, or deals.
- Click + Add filter on the left.
- Search for and select the Import radio button.
- Select the radio button next to the filter criteria is any of, is none of, is known, or is unknown. The click the dropdown menu and select the import file you want to segment by.
- Click Apply filter, then click Save.
If you want to view your original import file, click More > Download original file.