To start chatting with visitors, your site must have a messages widget dispayed. You can create different messages for different pages on your site or use the same message on all your pages.
To get your messages widget up and running, you'll need to:
- Install the tracking code snippet (you can skip this step if you're using a HubSpot-hosted page or if you already have the HubSpot tracking code installed on your page).
- Create your message and specify your audience and the site pages you wish to have the messages widget appear on.
Please note: it's currently not possible to use sales messages with a Wix site. Read more here.
Install the tracking code snippet
If you're putting your messages widget on an external page not hosted by HubSpot and you haven't installed the tracking code on that page yet, then you can follow these steps to access the code right from your sales account.
Create your message and specify your audience and site pages
Your sales widget will be the icon your visitors see on your site, and they can click that icon to open your messages window. You can edit the content of the message and select which visitors see it.
Please note: only Sales Professional users with Admin access can create new messages.
- Navigate to Sales Tools > Messages.
- Click Create message in the upper right-hand corner.
- In the pop-up box that appears, name your message and then click Create.
- You'll then be prompted to select your target audience. Select which visitors you'd like to see your messages window using the dropdown menu under Display to:. Then use the dropdown menu under Web page URLs to specify which page(s) you'd like your messages widget to appear on. You can use wild card URLs by adding a /* at the end of the URL to capture all URLs that begin with your target URL.
- Click Next.
- You'll then set up your welcome message. This is what visitors will see when visiting any of your site pages that have your messages widget. Type your message in the Message box. A preview of what this looks like will be in the bottom right-hand corner. Please note that this message cannot be customized per user. If you don't wish to have a message displayed, you can leave the Message box empty.
- Also in this screen, you can elect whether you'd like visitors to have the choice of entering their email address to receive a reply. Click the toggle beside Capture email address after visitor sends first message to enable/disable this setting. You can read more about how this setting creates contacts here.
- When you're finished typing your message, click Next.
- You'll now be brought to the Routing step. Here you can click the dropdown menu to select specific users or teams you would like the message to be routed to. Once you make your selections, click Next.
- Finally, you can preview your messages widget on different devices by clicking the Desktop, Tablet, and Mobile icons.
- When you're finished, click Done to publish your message on your site.