You can use your conversations inbox to manage your team's email inbox and chat messages all in one place. Learn how to use the inbox, set up your channels, and respond to conversations with your HubSpot tools.
Please note: the conversations tool is currently available to users with a Service Hub Professional subscription only.
Using the conversations inbox
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Conversations > Inbox.
- Status - sort your conversations based on whether they're Open or Closed.
- Channel - sort conversations based on whether they were created through Chat, over Email, or select to view All.
- Assignee - view conversations assigned to a specific team member.
- Date - filter conversations over a specific timeframe.
In the left sidebar, you can manage your conversations from different views:
- All conversations - all your team's conversations.
- Assigned to me - conversations that have been routed or assigned to you.
- Unassigned conversations - conversations that need to be triaged and assigned to an owner.
- Email - conversations that originated from your team's email inbox.
- Chat - conversations that originated from a chat widget on your site.
- Filtered - these are emails that are not relevant to your business conversations, such as promotional emails. Any emails received from a role email (marketing@, sales@, etc.) will be sent to Filtered instead of the general Inbox.
You'll see a list of all conversations in your selected view with the following details:
- The name of the contact who started the conversation.
- The email subject line or preview of the chat transcript.
- The timestamp of when the email or chat was opened.
- A label to indicate if the conversation is from a Chat or Email channel.
Next to your list of conversations is a detailed view of the selected conversation from your inbox. Here you can:
- Use the dropdown in the upper right corner to assign the conversation to a new owner.
- Reply to the chat or email conversation.
- Click the checkmark icon success to mark the conversation as closed.
- Click the name of the contact to open their record in a new tab.
- Click Create ticket to create a new ticket associated with this contact.
- Click the More dropdown to create a new engagement on the contact record such as a new call or email. You can also select Block sender to block them from future interactions with this channel.
The chat widget in the lower-left corner includes a few important settings for your chat messages:
- Away mode: use this setting to indicate whether you're active or away for incoming conversations.
- Reassign replies: enable this feature if you want to reassign replies to other team members.
Please note: if you select Tracked contacts or Segmented lists as your target audience, visitors who meet
- On the Targeting screen, you can set up exactly where your chat widget should appear.
- Use the dropdown to select whether your specific URL is or isn't included among the places where you want your chat widget to appear.
- Click OR to add more rules to indicate exactly which URLs should display your chat widget.
- Click the trash icon delete to delete an existing targeting rule.
- On the Message screen you can customize your message content.
- Enter a welcome message, and set up conditions and an email capture message so you can follow up on unanswered chats.
- Under your Options you can click the checkbox to indicate whether your welcome message should display on your selected website pages be default.
- You can see a preview each of these settings using the corresponding tabs in the right sidebar.
- In the Routing screen, you can set up rules to assign the owner for an incoming conversation through this chat widget. You can assign these conversations to specific user(s) or team(s), or leave them unassigned for your team to triage from the conversations inbox.
- On the Review and publish screen, you can see a full preview of how your chat widget will appear to visitors. Add a Message name to help you recognize the chat widget content, appearance, and settings you've just created.
- Finally, you'll need to install the HubSpot tracking code on your website in order for visitors to see your messages. You can send this code directly to your web developer, or copy the code to your clipboard and set it up yourself.
You can compose your chat response using the text editor at the bottom of your conversation. The contact record is available in the right sidebar for full context throughout your conversation.
- Type your response into the text editor at the bottom of the conversation.
- Click Snippets to quickly add short, reusable text blocks into your chats.
- Use the link icon link to share a link with your contact.
- Click the dropdown in the top-right corner to adjust the conversation owner of your chat.
- When you're ready to send each response, click Send.
- Once your chat is closed, click the checkmark icon success to mark the chat conversation as closed.
You can respond to an email message directly through your connected team inbox using the rich text email editor. Just like with chats, you have the contact profile in the right sidebar for context.
- Click Reply in the lower left corner of your email conversation to respond to an email conversation.
- Click Templates across the top of the email editor to insert a template email. You can also insert Documents or schedule Meetings from here.
- The icons across the bottom of the email editor can be used to modify your text style, insert a link, add an image, include a snippet, link to a knowledge base article, or upload a file.
- Once an email conversation is closed, you can find it again by adjusting the Status filter across the top of your inbox to view Closed conversations. You can reopen an email conversation anytime by sending a new reply.
Create additional inboxes
Conversations includes the ability to have multiple inboxes for different teams.
A new inbox can only be added by users with Admin access in your account.
To view and manage an inbox:
- Click the inbox name in the upper-left corner to view your existing inboxes or add a new inbox.
- Click Create Inbox to add a new inbox:
- Give your team inbox a name.
- Use the dropdown menu to specify which team members can access this inbox. Users will only be able to see the inboxes that they have access to.
- After configuring your new inbox settings, you can connect a channel for this inbox.
By default new conversations assigned to you will send alerts to your browser. To manage sound alerts:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar, click Conversations > Notifications.
- Navigate to Account > Profile & Preferences.
- In the left sidebar, select Notifications > Assign and scroll down to manage your alert preferences for New email conversation and New live chat conversation.