If you don't have access to a connected inbox, you can use the email addresses in your Log emails in CRM settings to manually log an email in your CRM. These email addresses are designed to help you track emails that are sent and received outside of HubSpot and the Sales extension. Both the BCC and forwarding email addresses can be used to log an email in the CRM from your mobile device.
- When to use the BCC address
- Things to keep in mind when using the BCC address
- When to use the forwarding address
- Things to keep in mind when forwarding replies to the CRM
Using the BCC address records an email as you send it. This address is meant for recording the emails you send out. When you send an email to someone, add this address to the BCC line of the email, and the email will automatically be recorded on the corresponding contact record.
- Navigate to your Log emails in CRM settings.
- Click Copy to the right of the field to copy your BCC address.
Please note: HubSpot will create a new contact record in your account for anyone CCed on your tracked email. If you BCC a recipient that is not a contact in your HS portal, logging using the BCC address would not cause that recipient to be created as a contact in the portal.
Your email must meet the following criteria in order to be logged in the CRM:
- The user sending the email has sales access.
- The email address from which you are sending the email matches:
- A user in your account.
- One of your connected email addresses under Profile & Preferences.
- An alias in your email client.
- The email address of the recipient does not match your domain. This prevents emails sent to your co-workers from being logged in the CRM.
Please note: if you manually use the BCC address in an email client without tracking, this will simply log the email on a contact record in your CRM. This will not allow you to track opens or clicks on your emails.
The forwarding address is used to log an email reply that you received onto the timeline of the contact record. This address is meant for recording an email after you've received it. When you receive an email from a contact, forward the message to this address, and the email will be recorded on the appropriate contact record.
- Navigate to Log emails in CRM settings.
- Click Copy to the right of the field to copy your forwarding address.
Please note: Don't reply to an email and then try to forward that email thread to HubSpot. After you reply, the email header will change, and the forwarding address can't support the header in this format.
- You're forwarding the individual reply email (not other parts of the email chain). The forwarded message header generated by your email client must be present and in English:
- The email address you're using to send the forwarded email must be a user in the CRM, a connected account in your Profile & Preferences, or an alias in your email account.
- The contact does not have the same email domain (what comes after the @ in an email address) as the user forwarding the email to the CRM.
- The forwarded email will appear in the contact's timeline like this:
- If the person that sent you the original email isn't in your CRM, forwarding the message will create a contact record.
Please note: if you receive an email reply from a contact or prospect, and they CC recipients, HubSpot won't add those copied recipients as contacts in your portal.