Anyone who interacts with your business can be saved as a contact in HubSpot. Examples of contacts include visitors that convert on a form, visitors who contact your chat team, or potential customers that your team met during an event.
A good contact database will allow your team to easily record and retrieve information on them, keeping everyone updated.
There are different ways to create contacts in HubSpot:
- If you're moving from another CRM with existing contacts or have contact data in a spreadsheet, you can import them to HubSpot.
- When a new visitor fills in and submits a HubSpot form, a contact record for their email address will be created in HubSpot automatically.
- You can create a contact manually or automatically through the conversations tool.
- When a user sends a tracked and logged email to a prospect, a contact is created automatically.
If an individual interacts with your business outside of the above means, you can also create contacts manually:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- In the upper right, click Create contact.
- In the right panel, enter the properties of the contact.
- Additional fields will appear once you've filled in the contact's name and email. By default, these fields are based on the properties in the About section of a contact record. Learn how to customize the properties that appear when creating an object manually.
- Click Create contact. If you are looking to create another contact after this one, click Create and add another instead.
Please note: although it is possible to add contacts to the CRM without an email address, it is not generally recommended because HubSpot uses the email address to deduplicate contacts and automatically associate contacts with companies.
Once you create a contact, you can access their record to log and retrieve information. You should consider associating a contact record to other objects, such as companies, deals, and tickets. This allows you to keep track of the relationships between your objects in HubSpot and allows HubSpot to sync relevant activities between these associated objects.