In HubSpot, you store and manage information about your potential customers in contact records. However, you may not need to market to all of them.
Please note: this functionality is currently available on a limited basis for test users in the ANZ region. Reach out to your HubSpot Customer Success Manager for more information.
By setting certain contacts as marketing and others as non-marketing, you can control the number of contacts that adds to your contact tier and the contacts your HubSpot account can and cannot market to. Learn how to view the number of marketing contacts in your current contact tier.
HubSpot marketing tools will work with marketing contacts only. Keep track of your marketing contacts using the marketing contact default properties.
Once a contact is deemed as a marketing contact, they cannot be set as non-marketing in the same period. Learn how to preemptively set contacts as non-marketing for the next renewal period.
Tools that can only be used on marketing contacts
Marketing tools in your HubSpot account can only work with marketing contacts.
- In the Send or schedule tab, click View breakdown on the right.
- In the right panel, you can view the reasons why these contacts will not receive the email and the number of contacts for each reason. One of the reasons possibly is that the contacts are set as non-marketing.
Please note: other types of emails can still reach your non-marketing contacts, including sales one-to-one emails, chat transcript emails from conversations, registration emails, ticket kickback emails, and customer feedback surveys.
When creating contact list audiences for your ads, you may notice not all contacts will be sent to the ad network. You can see the number of contacts for each reason, including the number of contacts that are non-marketing.
You can identify the non-marketing contacts in your list (e.g., sort by the Marketing status property) and set them as marketing. If the contact list audience is already created, any contacts that are updated as marketing will automatically be synced to your ads network. These contacts will count towards your billable contact tier limit in the current period.
Set existing contacts as marketing
If you have permissions to update marketing status, you can update a non-marketing contact to a marketing contact anytime. These newly set marketing contacts will count towards your billable contact tier limit, going forwards in the current period.
Please note: once you've set non-marketing contacts as marketing, you cannot set them back to being non-marketing in the same period. Contacts will only be set as non-marketing during the 90 days prior to renewal or contract change, and will be effective upon renewal or contract change
Manually set contacts as marketing in bulk
To set contacts as marketing contacts:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- Select the checkboxes next to contacts you want to set as marketing contacts. You can use a saved view to help you select the right contacts.
- At the top of the table, click the More dropdown menu and select Set as marketing contacts.
- In the dialog box, enter the number of contacts you're updating and click Confirm.
Automatically set contacts as marketing using workflows
If you have access to the workflows tool, you can automatically set contacts as marketing based on their property values.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Automation > Workflows.
- Create your contact-based workflow and set up your enrollment triggers for the contacts you want to set as marketing automatically.
- Add an action and in the Property management section, select the Set as a marketing contact action.
- Once you've turned on your workflow, contacts who meet your enrollment triggers will be set as marketing contacts when they pass through the Set as a marketing contact action.
Set the default marketing status for new contacts
Contacts can be created by different HubSpot tools, such as forms and chatflows. These tools have a default marketing status for the contacts they create.