Navigate to your email settings
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Marketing > Email.
- Click the Tracking tab.
Click tracking measures the number of times each link in your email is clicked. Toggle the switch ON to enable click tracking. If you're using other methods of tracking your links in your HubSpot emails, you may wish to switch this setting OFF to prevent the links from being overwritten.
Plain text click tracking controls click tracking for email sent in the plain text format. This setting measures the number of times each link in your email is clicked. Disabling this will turn off click tracking and stop your links from being rewritten inside plain text emails.
Both of these features are turned on by default, but you can switch the toggle next to each feature OFF or ON. Keep in mind, emails sent while this is disabled will not have any click tracking data associated with them, and that data cannot be recovered retroactively.
You can also customize your Click tracking domain to ensure that links in your email reference the HubSpot domain used for your email content. This improves your email sender reputation and deliverability results. You can click Manage domains to update the domain you've selected to be the primary domain for your email tool.
The next feature within tracking settings is source tracking, which is used to identify where traffic to your website pages has come from. HubSpot will automatically add the following source tags to any link within your email to ensure any traffic generated from a link within your email has the correct traffic source attribution:
- utm_content=[email ID number]
- utm_campaign=[campaign name]
Choose one of the following options for your source tracking:
- Add source tracking tags to all URLs: HubSpot will always add default tracking tags and overwrite any existing tracking tags you may have included.
- Add source tracking only if no existing tags in URL: HubSpot will add default tracking tags to URLs that do not include any existing UTM tags. If a URL has UTM tags, it will not be rewritten. This option allows you to add your own tracking URLs to email links.
- Do not add source tracking tags: HubSpot will not add any source tracking tags.
It's important to note that if you decide to select Do not add source tracking tags or if you add your own tracking tags, the sources report will not be able to distinguish email marketing visits from direct traffic.
The final piece of the email tracking settings is identity tracking, which is used to identify your contacts before they re-convert on your site. When this feature is enabled, HubSpot will be able to track
Just like click tracking, this option is turned on by default. You can disable identity tracking by switching the toggle OFF. Turning identity tracking off ensures HubSpot does not append this information to your links, but it also means that tracking activity on your site won't be associated with contacts who click links in your emails until they submit another one of your forms.