In HubSpot, you store and manage information about your potential customers in contact records. However, you may not need to market to all of them.
Please note: this functionality is currently available on a limited basis for test users in the ANZ region. Reach out to your HubSpot Customer Success Manager for more information.
By setting certain contacts as "marketing", and others as "non-marketing", you can control the number of billable contacts that adds to your contact tier and the contacts your HubSpot account can and cannot send marketing emails and target ads to. Learn how to view the number of marketing contacts in your current contact tier.
As long as a contact remains as non-marketing (i.e., they were not set as a marketing contact), they will not count towards your contact tier.
Once a contact is set as a marketing contact, you can use marketing tools with them and they will count towards your contact tier in that period (i.e., you cannot turn them back to non-marketing). Learn how to view the marketing contact default properties to check a contact's marketing status and how to set contacts as marketing.
Please note: once a contact is set as marketing, there is no way to turn a contact back to non-marketing before the next update date. You can only preemptively set them as non-marketing in the wizard and the non-marketing status will be applied at the next update date.
Tools that do not work with non-marketing contacts
The following marketing tools in your HubSpot account will not work with your non-marketing contacts:
- Marketing emails
- Marketing actions in workflows, such as Send email and Add to or Remove from ads audiences.
Learn what happens when you try using the above tools on a non-marketing contact and how you can set a contact as marketing so the tools work with them.
Please note: other types of emails can still reach your non-marketing contacts, including sales one-to-one emails, chat transcript emails from conversations, registration emails, ticket kickback emails, and customer feedback surveys.
Set existing contacts as non-marketing
You can preemptively set contacts as non-marketing. This will update their Marketing until next update property value to Yes. If these contacts are originally marketing contacts, they will remain as marketing contacts until the next update date.
The next update date is usually the first of the next month or your contract renewal date if it is closer.
On the next update date, all contacts with the Yes value in the Marketing until next update property will have their Marketing status property value updated to Non-marketing contact and be counted as non-marketing contacts. Once they've become non-marketing contacts, they will not count towards your contact tier.
Please note: even if the number of marketing contacts you have is below your contact tier, your contact tier will not be downgraded to the next contact tier. Reach out to your HubSpot Customer Success Manager if you've any further questions on your contact tier.
To mark your contacts as non-marketing on the next update date:
- In your HubSpot account, click your account name in the top right corner, then click Account & Billing.
- Click Usage & Limits.
- Click Manage marketing contacts. You can also check the next update date below the description.
- In the wizard, read the information regarding marketing contacts and click Next.
- In the Unengaged contacts step, it is recommended to leave the checkboxes selected because you are unlikely marketing to contacts who have bounced or unsubscribed. If you want to mark these as non-marketing, click Next. Otherwise, click Skip.
- In the Filters & lists step, you can select contacts to be set as non-marketing using a filter or a list.
- Click Next once you've selected your non-marketing contacts. Otherwise, you can click Skip.
- In the Review & update step, review the number of marketing and non-marketing contacts. Once reviewed, click Update Contacts in the bottom right.
This will set the Marketing until next update property values for these contacts as Yes. Only on the next update date, their Marketing status property will be updated to Non-marketing contact and become non-marketing contacts.
Remove a user's permission to set contacts as marketing
By default, all users have permission to set contacts as marketing. If you want to restrict a specific user:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Users and teams.
- Click the name of the user you want to grant permissions to.
- Click the More tab and select Account.
- Click the Modify marketing contacts switch to toggle it off.
- In the bottom right, click Save. The user will not be allowed to set contacts as marketing contacts.
Set the default marketing status for new contacts
Contacts can be created by different HubSpot tools, such as forms and chatflows. These tools have a default marketing status for the contacts they create.