Track and log emails with the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension
Last updated: April 25, 2023
Available with any of the following subscriptions, except where noted:
|All products and plans|
Use the Track and Log features of the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension to monitor and keep a record of your contacts' engagement with your emails. With the track feature enabled, you can receive real-time notifications when a contact opens your email. You can also choose to log the email to the contact's record in HubSpot to keep a record of all past communication for your team to reference.
You can review email open and click information in the activity feed; logged emails are saved to individual contact records and their associated records.
Please note: if you've enabled General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) functionality in your account, your legal team is the best resource to determine how your company uses email logging and tracking. You can also customize your extension settings to remove this functionality for a specific message or for specific contacts and email domains. In addition, email opens can only be tracked for contacts with an assigned legal basis for data processing. Learn more about email tracking when GDPR settings are enabled.
You can learn about the differences between tracking and logging in this article.
Configure default log and track settings
Super admins can update the default behavior for tracking, logging, and associating emails for all users in your account.
To configure these defaults:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings settings icon in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Objects > Activities.
- Click the Email Log & Track tab.
- Under Email Log and Track Settings, configure how emails will be recorded in HubSpot by selecting or clearing the associated checkboxes:
- Apply Default Log setting for all users: when this setting is turned on, you can then click to toggle the Log all emails by default switch on or off to set whether emails are logged by default across all users in your account.
- Apply Default Association for all users: when this setting is turned on, you can then click the dropdown menu and select the default record types to associate with a logged email.
- Apply Default Track setting for all users: if you've selected the Allow all users to track emails and see recipients open and click on their emails checkbox, you can turn this setting on to configure whether all emails will be tracked by default across all users in your account.
To send a tracked email from Gmail:
- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Compose a new email. Enter the email recipient, the subject line, and the email body.
- Select theTrack checkbox.
View the tracked email's status
Before your contact opens the email, the email subject line and recipient will show in your activity feed in HubSpot asSent.
Once the recipient opens the email, you'll receive a real-time, pop-up notification on your desktop. When you navigate back to your activity feed or Chrome extension feed, you'll see the email information marked asOpen. Click thedropdown menubelow the contact's name to see when the recipient opened your email. You will also see a history of the contact's activities listed.
You can also see how your contacts are engaging with your tracked emails from the Chrome extension. To access your activity feed from the Chrome extension, click theHubSpot sprocket icon sprocketin the upper right of your Chrome browser.
Learn more about how email tracking and sales notifications work, and how to disable tracking.
Tracking with GDPR settings enabled
If you've enabled GDPR functionality in your account, HubSpot can only track a contact's email opens when the contact has an assigned legal basis for data processing. When composing an email in Gmail, the Track checkbox will be greyed out to indicate a contact's tracking ineligibility.
Email opens will not be tracked for contacts without a legal basis for processing data or email recipients who are not yet contacts. When emailing multiple recipients, email opens will be tracked anonymously.You can change a contact's tracking eligibility by updating their Legal basis for processing contact's data property.
To log an email and add a new contact to your HubSpot CRM account, the email address you send emails from must be one of the following:
- A user in your account.
- One of yourconnected email addresses.
- An alias in your email client (either analias that has been configured in your connected Gmail inbox, or analias added to yourProfile & Preferences).
You can specify email addresses and domains that you never want to log emails for in yourHubSpot account settings. Or you can add these email addresses and domains in your Chrome extension settings.
Please note: emails larger than 50 MB will not log to your HubSpot account. Attachments count towards this limit. Your email will still be delivered successfully to the contact, but you will not see the email logged to their record.
To send a logged email from Gmail:
- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Compose a new email. Enter the email recipient, the subject line, and the email body. If the recipient's email address is already associated with a contact record in your CRM, the HubSpot sprocket icon will appear in line next to their email address in the To field.
- Select theLog checkbox.
- By default, the Chrome extension will automatically select the contact's first three associated deal or ticket records to log emails to. If you include any recipients in the CC field, the records' associated objects will also be automatically selected. To explicitly select which records the email will log to:
- Click the dropdown menu next to the Log checkbox.
- Select and clear the checkboxes next to the records you want to log the email to.
- If you're sending the email to a recipient who isn't contact in your CRM, a new contact record will be created. You'll see the contact's email listed when editing the associations. Clear the checkbox if you don't want the email to log to the new contact record. Learn how to log emails to existing contact records only.
You can customize which associated records your emails are automatically logged to in your Chrome extension settings. If you're using marketing contacts, a new contact created by a logged email will be set as non-marketing.
Please note: if a new contact is created through a logged email, the HubSpot user who sent the email will be automatically assigned as the contact owner, as long as no previous owner has been assigned.
View the logged email in HubSpot
Email that are logged to HubSpot using the extension will automatically be associated to the records that you specified before sending the email. To see the logged email in HubSpot:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate toyour contacts, companies or deals.
- Click thenameof the record.
- On the timeline, locate the logged email. From the email, you can do the following:
- Associated records: click to edit associated records.
- Pin: click to pin the email to the top if the contact timeline.
- Delete: click to delete the email activity from the timeline.
- Details: click to see specific information about the email send.
- Expand:click to see the full body of the email. If there's an ongoing email conversation, click View thread to see all of the emails in the thread.
- Attachments: click to open attachments associated with this specific email send.
- Reply: clickReplyto send an email reply to the contact from HubSpot.
Please note: tosend email repliesfrom HubSpot andlog incoming replies to HubSpot, you must have aconnected inbox.
Connect your personal email
Connect a personal email account to HubSpot to send one-to-one emails from the CRM, log email replies to the...Knowledge Base
Understand HubSpot email tracking and logging
When you send a marketing email or a tracked one-to-one email from your email inbox using the HubSpot Sales...Knowledge Base
Set up the Outlook desktop add-in
The HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in allows you to track and log emails and use some of the HubSpot sales...Knowledge Base