Track and log emails with the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in
Last updated: March 16, 2021
|All products and plans|
Use the Track and Log features of the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in to monitor and keep a record of your contacts' engagement with your emails. With the track feature enabled, you can receive real-time notifications when a contact opens your email. You can also choose to log the email to the contact's record in HubSpot to keep a record of all past communication for your team to reference.
You can review email open and click information in the activity feed; logged emails are saved to individual contact records and their associated records.
Please note: if you've enabled General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) functionality in your account, your legal team is the best resource to determine how your company uses email logging and tracking. You can also customize your extension settings to disable this functionality for a specific message or for specific contacts or email domains. Any existing contacts who have not granted a lawful basis for data processing will be tracked anonymously.
Before getting started, note the difference between a tracked email and a logged email:
- Track: use the track feature to monitor when contacts open your emails. To track emails, HubSpot inserts a one-pixel tracking image into the email after it is sent. If you have the HubSpot Sales for Windows tray app installed or if you're using Chrome with the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension, you'll receive a real-time notification on your desktop when a contact opens the tracked email. Users with assigned Sales Hub paid seats can also track when a recipient clicks a link in the email. Free users cannot track clicks. HubSpot records tracked email opens and clicks in the activity feed and on the record's timeline.
- Log: use the log feature to log a copy of an email to a record in HubSpot. Any attachments included in the email will also log to the contact's record. Log your emails to keep a record of past communication. Logged emails do not give you insight into open or click information.
Keep in mind that you can send an email that is both tracked and logged. That way, you'll have a record of the email communication and open information in HubSpot.
This article covers tracking and logging emails with the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in. If you are using the Office 365 add-in, learn how to track and log emails with the Office 365 add-in in this guide: Track and log emails with the Office 365 add-in.
Please note: the Outlook desktop add-in will appear in any email address that you have set up in your Outlook account. Therefore, emails sent from any of these email addresses will track if tracking is enabled. Emails sent from an additional email address will only log to HubSpot when logging is enabled if the email address is connected to HubSpot or added as an alias in your profile & preferences.
To send a tracked email using the Outlook desktop add-in from your Outlook desktop account on a PC:
- Log in to your Outlook account.
- Compose a new email.
- Enter the email recipient, subject line, and email body.
- Select the Track Email checkbox in the message ribbon, then click Send.
View the tracked email's status
Before your contact opens the email, the email subject line and recipient will show in your activity feed in HubSpot as Sent.
When the recipient opens the email, you'll receive a real-time pop-up notification on your desktop and the email notification marked as Open in your activity feed. Click the dropdown menu below the contact's name to see when the recipient opened your email. You will also see a history of the contact's activities listed in the dropdown menu.
Please note: real-time notifications will appear when you send tracked emails using the Office 365 add-in and if you have the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension or HubSpot Sales for Windows tray app (Windows only) installed. If not, you'll only see activity in your HubSpot activity feed.
You can also see how your contacts are engaging with your tracked emails from the Chrome extension or from the Windows tray app. To access your activity feed from the Chrome extension, click the HubSpot sprocket icon sprocket in the upper-right corner of your Chrome browser. If you've installed HubSpot Sales for Windows, click the HubSpot sprocket icon sprocket in your Windows tray.
To log an email and add new contacts to HubSpot from a logged email, the email address you send from in your email client must be one of the following:
- A user in your account.
- One of your connected email addresses.
- An alias in your email client (either an alias that has been configured in your connected Gmail inbox, or an alias added to your Profile & Preferences).
Please note: email attachments larger than 50 MB will not log to HubSpot. Your email will still be delivered successfully to the contact and will log to the CRM, but without an attachment.
To send a logged email using the Outlook desktop add-in from your Outlook desktop account on a PC:
- Compose a new email in Outlook.
- Enter the email recipient, subject line, and email body.
- In the message ribbon, select the Log to CRM. Your BCC address will auto-populate in the BCC field.
- Click Send.
If a record does not already exist in HubSpot for this contact, a new record will be created. If you are using marketing contacts, a new contact created by a logged email will be set as non-marketing.
View the logged email in HubSpot
Email that are logged to HubSpot using the Outlook desktop add-in will automatically be associated to the recipient's contact record, its associated company record, and the five most recent open deal records associated to the contact.
To see the logged email in HubSpot:
- Click the name of the record.
- On the timeline, locate the logged email. From the email, you can do the following:
- Associated records: click to edit associated company or deals records.
- Pin: click to pin the email to the top if the contact timeline.
- Delete: click to delete the email activity from the timeline.
- Details: click to see specific information about the email send.
- Expand: click to see the full body of the email. If there's an ongoing email conversation, click View thread to see all of the emails in the thread.
- Attachments: click to open attachments associated with this specific email send.
- Reply: click Reply to send an email reply to the contact from HubSpot.
Install HubSpot Sales for Gmail, Office 365, and Outlook desktop
With the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension for Gmail, HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in, or the HubSpot Sales...Knowledge Base
Connect your personal email
Connect a personal email to HubSpot to send one-to-one emails from the CRM, log email replies to the CRM,...Knowledge Base
Turn on connected inbox automation
When you connect your inbox to HubSpot, you can allow inbox automation to turn on Artificial Intelligence...Knowledge Base