Before your contact opens the email, the email subject line and recipient will show in your activity feed as Unopened.
- To access your activity feed in HubSpot, navigate to Sales Tools > Activity Feed. You can find the email tracking information under the All activity tab or under the Email activity tab. Depending on the recipient, it could end up under additional tabs. Read more here.
- To access your activity feed from the Chrome extension, click the HubSpot sprocket icon in the upper right-hand corner of your Chrome browser. You can find the email tracking information under the All activity tab or under the Email activity tab. Depending on the recipient, it could end up under additional tabs. Read more here.
Once the recipient opens the email, you'll receive a real-time pop-up notification on your desktop. When you navigate back to your activity feed or Chrome extension feed, you'll see the email information marked as Open.
Click the dropdown menu below the contact's name to see when the recipient opened your email and where. Read more about location detection here.
Additional resources on email tracking and sales notifications
To learn more about how email tracking and sales notifications work with the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension (or the Office 365 add-in and the Outlook desktop add-in), check out the below articles:
Learn more about setting up real-time lead revisit notifications here. Each time a lead visits your website, you'll receive a pop-up notification as well as the visit information in your activity feed.
- A user in your account
- One of your connected email addresses under Account Menu > Profile & Preferences
- An alias in your email client
To prevent tracking of internal emails between you and your colleagues, the CRM will not log emails sent between you and other contacts that match your email domain. For example, if you're sending an email to email@example.com from firstname.lastname@example.org, then the email will not log because the email domain (hubspot.com) of the sender matches the email domain of the recipient.
Additionally, you can specify email addresses and domains that you never want to log emails for in your extension settings. Learn more here.
How to send a logged email
To send a logged email from Gmail:
- Log into your Gmail account and compose a new email.
- Enter the email recipient, the subject line, and the email body. Check the Log box and then click Send.
View the logged email in HubSpot
To see the logged email in HubSpot, navigate to the contact record (if the recipient is not a contact yet in HubSpot, they will be created as one):
- In your HubSpot account, click Contacts.
- Click the name of the contact who received the email to open the contact record.
- On the timeline, you'll see a copy of the email. You'll also see the following options:
- Expand: to see the full body of the email, click Expand. To see only the first few lines, click Collapse.
- Edit: add or remove a company or deals to associate with this email. The company record and the deal records must be associated with the contact to add them here.
- Actions: choose to delete or reply to this email.
- Reply: click Reply to send an email reply to the contact from HubSpot.