Metrics in the sources report
In the sources report you can analyze statistics and sources of the following metrics:
- Sessions: a series of analytics activities taken by a visitor to your website. Activities can include page views, CTA clicks, events, etc. A session expires after 30 minutes of inactivity. You can learn more about how sessions are categorized here.
- Contact conversion rate: the number of contacts divided by the number of visits for the selected time period.
- New contacts: the number of new contacts created in HubSpot in the selected time period.
- Customer conversion rate: the number of customers divided by the number of sessions for the selected time period.
- Customers: the number of customers who originally converted on your website during this time frame and are currently in the lifecycle stage of Customer.
- Bounce rate: the percentage of visitors to a particular website who navigate away from the site after viewing only one page.
- New visitor sessions: the number of new unique visitors on your website.
- New session %: the percentage of sessions that are from new users.
- Page views/sessions: the a
- Avg. session length: the average duration of a visitor's website session.
You can toggle between a visualization of each of these different metrics using the
Types of sources
HubSpot breaks down website traffic into the following source categories:
- Organic search - visits from search engines
- Referrals - visits from other websites
- Social media - visits from social media sites
- Email marketing - visits from email campaigns
- Paid search - visits from pay-per-click ads
- Paid social - visits from paid social ads campaigns
- Direct traffic - visits from users reaching your site by directly typing in a URL
- Other campaigns - an additional source that can be used for custom reporting when you implement tracking URLs
- Offline Source - contacts and customers who originated outside of your website (manually added, imported, via API)
Different sources are displayed by color to illustrate the breakdown of traffic to your site. Each source is labeled with a corresponding color bubble directly above the chart. Hover over each source to see more details about that specific source in comparison with other sources during that time.
Below the graph is a detailed breakdown of each source. You can click on the checkmark to deselect any sources that you'd like to filter out of your analytics so you can compare specific sources data side-by-side.
Drill down into each source
You can drill down into each source to see more detailed information about visits from that channel by clicking on the source name. You may be able to click on a specific campaign or source to see even more granular data.
In some source types, you can drill down even further by clicking on one of the specific sources (i.e. social site, referral link, etc.) to get more detailed information. You can learn more about analyzing sources data in this article.
You can change the source you're viewing trends for by selecting or deselecting the checkbox next to that source in the table. The scale of the chart will adjust to fit the size of the metrics.
Changing your view in sources
On the sources dashboard, you can change the way you view your data. By default, you'll see data for sessions this month to date for all of your tracked domains in HubSpot.
To customize the report, toggle the following:
- Date range
- Domains (hosted on HubSpot and set as Primary in Domain Manager)
You can modify the style of the chart by clicking Style in the upper-right corner and selecting to display your data in a bar chart or an area graph.