- View, manage, and analyze your ad campaigns
- Ads attribution in HubSpot
- Filter ad campaigns by attribution report
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Ads.
- The ads dashboard displays all your existing ad campaigns in your connected ads accounts. In the top left, use the filters to filter data by accounts, attribution report, date range, or campaign status.
- The first report shows the impressions, clicks, leads, number of new contacts, and deals generated from your selected ad campaigns.
- The table shows the following campaign metrics: campaign name, account name, type, impressions, clicks, total contacts, customers, MQLs, cost per contact, amount spent, ROI, and revenue. Click a column header to sort campaigns by a specific metric, and click a campaign name to drill down into a specific campaign's metrics.
- Cost per contact is a HubSpot-specific metric and is not visible to external ad platforms. It's not recommended to compare this metric to metrics in other ad platforms, as they are unable to calculate it without visibility into your HubSpot contact database.
- It's recommended to match your time zone in your HubSpot account and your external ad platforms to avoid discrepancies between metrics such as ad spend.
- If you have a Google Ads search campaign in HubSpot, you can view a list of keywords associated with each ad group along with their performance.
- Click the name of an ad group.
- In the upper left of the table, click the Ads dropdown menu and select Keywords.
Ads attribution in HubSpot
Attribution refers to the rules used to determine how your marketing assets and channels receive credit for their contribution to converting visitors into contacts and customers. HubSpot's ads tool offers five different approaches to attribution.
By default, a new contact is attributed to one of your ads when a click on that ad led to the web session where the visitor converted via a form submission for the first time. In order to track conversions:
The HubSpot tracking code must be installed on the page your ad directs contacts to. HubSpot pages include the tracking code by default; if you're using an external page, ensure that the HubSpot tracking code is installed.
Auto-tracking must be enabled for your ad account. Note that tracking does not work retroactively; after auto-tracking is enabled, HubSpot will only be able to associate future ad clicks with contacts.
HubSpot forms, pop-up forms, non-HubSpot forms, or the HubSpot Forms API must be used to capture form submissions on your pages. If you're using the HubSpot Forms API, parameters to pass the page URL and the HubSpot tracking cookie must be included.
You can filter your ad campaigns by attribution report to see how your ads are influencing your contacts across every stage of their customer journey.
Please note: CRM Free, Marketing Hub Starter or Basic accounts only have access to the Influenced first form submission report. Marketing Hub Professional and Enterprise accounts have access to all other attribution reports.
You can filter ad campaign data by the following attribution reports:
- First form submission: this attribution report is selected by default, and shows contacts that clicked a tracked ad, then submitted a form on your website for the first time during the same session. This report helps identify which ads are the most effective at getting new visitors to interact with your website.
- First web session: shows all contacts whose ad clicks resulted in their first session on your website. Contacts in this report will have an Original source of Paid search or Paid social by default, because their first visit to your website was driven by an ad. This report helps identify which ads are the most effective at driving visitors to your website and making them aware of your business.
- Influenced first form submission: shows contacts that clicked a tracked ad, then submitted a form on your website for the first time at a later time. This is similar to the First form submission report, except that the contact’s ad click and their first form submission did not occur during the same session. This report helps identify which ads influenced visitors to return to your website.
- All form submissions: shows contacts that clicked a tracked ad, then submitted a form on your website during the same session, regardless of whether it was their first form submission, or if they previously existed as a contact in your HubSpot account prior to clicking the ad.
- Re-engagement: shows contacts that clicked a tracked ad after becoming a contact in your HubSpot account. This report helps identify which ads are the most effective at re-engaging your existing customers.
Selecting different attribution reports will only change the Contacts metrics, and metrics that are directly affected by the number of contacts (e.g., Customers and Cost per contact). Contacts may show up in multiple attribution report types, and some overlap is expected between the different attribution reports.
If you have a CRM Free, Marketing Hub Starter or legacy Basic account, learn how to analyze your Facebook lead ads in HubSpot.