Bots allow you to set up automated responses when visitors reach out to you via chat on your website. This article will help you create a new bot, customize the bot template, and take a bot live on your website.
Please note: the bots tool is available to users who have opted into the new navigation menu in HubSpot. To opt in, click the avatar or photo in the top right corner of your account and click Try the new menu.To create a new bot:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Conversations > Bots.
- Click Create bot in the upper-right corner.
- In the left sidebar menu, select the type of bot you want to create. You'll see a preview of that bot template appear on the right side of the screen.
Please note: only Sales Hub Starter and Professional and Service Hub Professional users can create meetings bots. Only Service Hub Professional users can create support bots.
- Click the pencil icon edit at the top to give your bot a name.
- Click the pencil icon edit in the right corner and select a supported language from the dropdown menu.
- Click Create bot.
This default template is designed to help collect basic information from visitors, and either present a deflection message or connect them with an agent when necessary. Each message that your bot sends is represented on this page, as well as any routing logic to determine the flow of conversation.
You can modify it to suit your individual needs in the bot editor:
- Click on one of the bot messages or actions to open the right sidebar editor and modify it in the Settings tab:
- Nickname - enter a nickname for this bot message.
- Message - enter the content for your first bot message. You can use personalization to pull in details from the contact record of a known visitor.
- + Add message bubble - if you'd like multiple message bubbles to pop up as part of this bot message, you can add another bubble here.
- Collect user input - use this checkbox to indicate that the bot should wait for a response before moving onto the next bot message. Note that the first message in any bot sequence will have this option selected by default.
- Save to HubSpot property - use this dropdown menu to populate the contact record with the value from the visitor's response in a specific contact property.
- Skip this action if property already exists - use this checkbox to skip this action if the visitor's contact record already has this property filled out.
- Quick replies - add answers that your visitor can click to respond to your message. To add quick replies, start typing your copy and hit Enter to save each one.
- Disable free text input - use this option if you want to limit visitors to selecting among your pre-set options in Quick replies.
- Click the Connections tab to set up the flow of your conversation.
- If you are a paid user, you can add conditional logic to your bot message by clicking Add conditions:
Please note: free users cannot add custom conditions to their bot's conversation flow.
- Click the first dropdown menu to set your conditions based on the user's response or a contact property value if the visitor is a known contact.
- Use the next two dropdown menus to set the logic for the user's response or contact property.
- Next, click the When no conditions are met, go to dropdown menu to select the message that visitors will see if they do not meet any of the conditions set.
- Click Save to save your changes to this bot message.
- You'll return to your bot template, where you can add new questions or actions to the flow by clicking the plus icon add.
- Click the Settings tab to configure your bot settings:
- Display name - enter the name you want your bot to use to introduce itself. Hover over your bot's avatar and click Change photo to edit the photo.
- Error response - this response will be delivered to users when a request can't be completed.
- Session timeout - the amount of time after inactivity before the chat session is reset to the beginning.
- Typing delay between messages - the time delay between each message that is sent to end-users.
- Language - the language your bot will be displayed in.
- Date and number format - the date and time styling used in your bot.
- Once you have customized your bot to fit your needs, you can connect it to one of your messages by switching the toggle on success in the upper-right.
- Click the radio button next to the message you want to connect this bot to, then click Connect.
- You can review the settings for the message your bot is connected to by clicking the name of the connected message that appears in the upper-right.
The following languages are supported by the bots tool:
The following languages are currently in beta:
- Spanish - Mexico
- Chinese - simplified
- Chinese - traditional
The language you select here will be the language your bot message and actions are displayed in. However, when a visitor sends a message, keep in mind that for languages other than English, the bots tool cannot extract all date/time expressions, and cannot fully extract names, number ranges, or iterations of yes or no.
For example, when a visitor sends a message in English and uses a date/time expression like “tomorrow at three PM”, the bots tool can parse this into a format like “8/03/2018 at 3:00 PM”. However, if a visitor uses a date/time expression in a language other than English, the bots tool would not be able to extract and translate this date and time from the visitor’s message.