What can you do with contact and company properties in your account?
- Segment your leads by these custom contact properties using the Lists tool.
- Capture details into these properties using HubSpot forms.
- Personalize emails that you send to contacts using personalization tokens so that the details of the email can be as relevant as possible.
- Personalize the experience of visitors to your HubSpot site using personalization tokens and smart content.
- Create lead scoring rules that automatically increase or decrease a contact's lead score based on the value of contact properties.
- Trigger a workflow so that contacts with a certain property get enrolled into a series of marketing automation actions.
- Create contact reports based on these properties (Enterprise customers only).
1. Manage your property settingsIn your HubSpot Marketing Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts Settings.
Or, in your HubSpot Sales or HubSpot Marketing Free or Starter account, navigate to Contacts. Click the Actions dropdown menu, and select Edit properties.
2. Create a new property
You'll automatically be taken to the Contact properties edit screen. Click on the Create a property button on this screen to begin creating a new contact property.
Adding a company property
If, at this point, you'd like to add a new company property instead of a contact property, click on Company properties tab, then click Create a property.
3. Enter the contact property details
Next you'll see the contact property detail screen, where you can begin filling out information for your new property.
To get started, complete the following fields:
The label is a brief description of the property that will appear on internally on contact profiles.
The label will also be the external default form field label for the property when used as a field on a HubSpot form.
The internal name is the API identifier for the property. It’s unique and not editable once created. It is automatically determined based on the original label that you set for a contact property. If the custom property is created by the Salesforce connector, HubSpot automatically appends a "__c" to the end of the HubSpot property name (Salesforce custom field names also use the same naming convention).
The description is a short explanation of the property and is for internal use only.
Your contact properties are all stored in groups so that you can keep your database well organized. The default contact property groups are:
- Contact Information
- Company Information
- Social Media Information
- Email Information
- Web Analytics History
- Conversion Information
You can create a new group by clicking on the Create a property group button at the top of your property settings screen.
Once you give the property group a name and click the Create button, you'll be able to create new contact properties in that group.
Contact properties should have a different field type depending on the type of information they will store.
- Single-line text - Single-line text properties can contain a string of any alphanumeric characters, such as a word, a phrase, or a sentence.
- Multi-line text - Multi-line text properties can contain several strings of alphanumeric characters, such as a paragraph or list of items.
- Dropdown select - Dropdown selects contain several specific options and the visitor is limited to selecting only one of the options.
- Radio select (select a single option) - Radio selects act the same way as dropdown selects, but appear differently in forms. They also contain several concrete options and the visitor can select only one of the options.
- Multiple checkboxes - Multiple checkboxes contain several specific options that are usually related. You might be used to seeing these fields with the help text Check all that apply.
- Single checkbox - Single checkbox fields only have two options: on or off. They are typically used if you are integrated with Salesforce and need a field that is either checked or unchecked.
- Number - Number fields can contain any string of numerals or numbers written in decimal or scientific notation.
- File - File fields are used to allow visitors to upload files and provide you with a link through a form submission. The uploaded file's link is available from the individual's contact record.
- Date picker - Date picker fields are used to allow visitors to input a specific date in a standard format that can be segmented on.
4. Save your property
When you are done entering in all the information for your new contact property, click the Create button to save your property.