In HubSpot, certain activities are logged on records automatically. When you connect with a contact outside of HubSpot (e.g., a meeting with a client that wasn't booked, or a message sent via LinkedIn), you can manually log the activity on the record.
Activities that can be manually logged include:
- LinkedIn messages
- WhatsApp messages
- SMS messages
- Postal mail
You can also import to create new activities and associate them with records in bulk.
Please note: the number of activities you can log on a record depends on the object, the type of activity, and your HubSpot subscription.
Log an activity on desktop
- Navigate to your records:
- Contacts: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- Companies: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Companies.
- Deals: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Sales > Deals.
- Tickets: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Service > Tickets.
- Custom objects: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > [Custom object]. If your account has more than one custom object, hover over Custom Objects, then select the custom object you want to view.
- Click the name of the record.
- In the left panel, click the icon for the activity you want to log. The icons that appear may vary if you've customized the order of the icons.
- To log a note, click the description Note icon.
- To log a call, click the logCall Call icon.
- To log a meeting, click the logMeeting Meeting icon.
- To log an email, click the logEmail Email icon.
- To log a LinkedIn message, click the logLinkedInMessage LinkedIn icon.
- To log a WhatsApp message, click the logWhatsAppMessage WhatsApp icon.
- To log an SMS message, click the logSMS SMS icon.
- To log postal mail, click the logPostalMail Postal mail icon.
- If a specific icon doesn't appear in the left panel, click the ··· ellipses icon, then select the activity type from the dropdown menu.
- To update the date and time of the activity, click the Date and Time dropdown menus.
- Click the icons to format your text or insert a snippet, link, or image.
- Select the Create a task to follow up checkbox to create a new task related to the activity.
- Click the Associated with dropdown menu to search and select records you'd like to associate with the activity or deselect records to dissociate them from the activity. The activity will appear on the timeline of the records you select.
- There are additional steps when logging a call or meeting:
- When logging a call:
- To categorize the call's outcome, click the Call outcome dropdown menu.
- To categorize the goal of the call, click the Type dropdown menu to categorize the call's goal. Learn how to create call types (Sales Hub Professional and Enterprise only).
- To indicate whether it was an inbound or outbound call, click the Direction dropdown menu. Learn more about using a HubSpot provided phone number to receive incoming calls forwarded to your personal device, or how to make outbound calls from HubSpot.
- When logging a meeting:
- To add another person to the meeting, click the Attendees dropdown menu and select the contact. A maximum of 50 attendees can be displayed on a logged meeting. If you add more than 50 attendees, certain contacts will not appear on the meeting, but the meeting will be logged to their contact record.
- To categorize the meeting outcome, click the Outcome dropdown menu and select the outcome.
- To categorize the meeting's goal, click the Type dropdown menu and select the type. Learn how to create meeting types (Sales Hub Professional and Enterprise only).
- Once you're filled out your activity or note, click Log activity or Save note. The activity will now appear on the record's timeline.
Log activities in the HubSpot mobile app
- Open the HubSpot app on your iOS or Android device.
- To log an activity on a record, navigate to the object you'd like to log a note, activity, or task for:
- Contacts: tap Menu, then tap Contacts in the left sidebar.
- Companies: in the iOS app, tap Menu, tap Contacts in the left sidebar, then tap the Companies tab. In the Android app, tap Menu, then tap Companies in the left sidebar.
- Deals: tap Menu, then tap Deals in the left sidebar.
- Tickets: tap Menu, then tap Tickets in the left sidebar.
- Custom objects: in the Android app, tap Menu, then tap Custom objects. If you have multiple custom objects, tap the tab of the custom object you want to view. In the iOS app, custom object records are view only, and can only be accessed through associated records.
- Tap the name of the record.
- Tap Add note, Create task, or Log Activity. If you tapped Log Activity, select one of Call, Email, Meeting, SMS, WhatsApp, LinkedIn message, or Postal Mail.
- Enter the details for your note, activity, or task. If you're using the mobile app on an Android device, you can use snippets to quickly enter a short, reusable block of text to the activity details.
- Click to toggle the Follow up task switch on to create a new task as a follow up action from your activity.
- If you're logging a call or meeting, you can select a call or meeting outcome and type. You must have set up outcomes and types in your desktop app before you can select them on your mobile device.
- Tap Call outcome or Call type and select an outcome or type.
- Tap Meeting outcome or Meeting type and select an outcome or type.
- Tap Save. The note, activity, or task will now appear in the record's timeline.