When to create a deal
A deal should be created whenever a qualified prospect takes an action that could lead to revenue, such as booking a meeting with you to discuss your product or service.
Create a dealYou can create deals manually with the instructions below or you can import multiple deals at once following the instructions in this article.
1. Navigate to Deals
In your HubSpot account, click Deals in the main navigation menu. Please note that while contacts and companies are available using both your marketing and sales tools in HubSpot CRM Free, the deals CRM record type is available in your HubSpot CRM Free sales tools only.
2. Click Create deal
Click Create deal in the upper right-hand corner.
3. Enter deal details
In the dialog box that appears, enter the details of your deal. Any deal properties set to appear by default for all users in the About section will be included.
To customize the properties that appear here and within the About section of deal records, click View > View all properties.
4. Associate your deal with contacts and companies
You can associate your deal with a particular contact and/or company right from the creation dialog box.
You can also add a company or contact to an existing deal by clicking Add a company or Add a contact on the deal record.
Track your dealsAfter creating your deal, use your pipeline to keep track of the deal as it moves through your sales funnel.
Choose a pipeline
Navigate back to Deals and click the Pipeline
3. Choose your view
Your deals dashboard has two views:
- Table: this shows a list of your deals. You can customize which deal properties are displayed as columns in the table.
- Board: this shows your deals in columns based on their deal stage and gives you a visual representation of your pipeline. You can drag and drop deals to move them to a new stage. Here you can view the amount of individual deals as well as the total amount in each stage of the pipeline.
If you'd like to sort your deals once you're in the correct pipeline and view, select Customize > Sort deals in the upper right-hand corner of your deals board view. More information on deal sorting and filtering can be found here.
Manage deal propertiesJust as you have contact and company properties to store information, your deal properties store information about your deals. With deal properties, you can store information regarding where the deal is in your sales funnel, the estimated revenue of a deal, and more.
1. Default deal properties
- Amount - the total value of the deal.
- Close date - the day the deal is expected to close.
- Closed lost reason -
reasonwhy the deal was lost. You can learn how to customize these reasons here.
- Closed won reason -
reasonwhy the deal was won. You can learn how to customize these reasons here.
- Deal description - a brief description of the deal.
- Deal name - the name you have given this deal.
- Deal stage - deal stages allow you to categorize and track the progress of the deals that you are working on. You can learn more about how to set up deal stages in this article.
- Deal type - categorize your deal as either a New Business or Existing Business. You can edit or add new deal types in your deal property settings.
- HubSpot owner - the user from your team that the deal is assigned to. You can assign additional users to a deal record by creating a custom HubSpot user field type property.
- Pipeline - the pipeline a deal is in, which determines the deal stages the deal will move through. You can learn more about how to set up your deal pipelines and deal stages here.
The following deal properties update automatically:
- Owner assigned date - the date the most recent HubSpot owner was assigned to a deal.
- Create date - the date the deal was created in the CRM.
- Last modified date - the most recent date that any property on a deal was updated.
- Last activity date - the last time a note, call, email, meeting, or task was logged for a deal.
- Number of contacts -
numberof contacts associated with this deal.
- Original source data 1 - additional information about the original source for the associated contact, or associated company if there is no contact, with the oldest value for the Time first seen property.
- Original source data 2 - additional information about the original source for the associated contact, or associated company if there is no contact, with the oldest value for the Time first seen property.
- Original source type - original source for the associated contact, or associated company if there is no contact, with the oldest value for the Time first seen property.
2. Create and edit deal properties
You can create custom deal properties to capture the information most relevant to your company's sales process. To create or edit a deal property, click your photo or avatar in the top right-hand corner, then click Settings.
In the left sidebar menu, click Properties. Once in your property settings, click the Deal properties tab. You can hover over a deal property and click View, Clone, or Delete. Please note that default HubSpot properties cannot be cloned or deleted.
To create a custom deal property, click Create a property in the upper-right corner. Give your property a name and description, and select a property group and field type. You can learn more about creating custom properties in this article.
3. View and export property history
You can export the historical values of a property by clicking on a property name in your property settings and then clicking Export property history in the upper right-hand corner.
In the dialog box, enter the email address you'd like the export sent to, and select your file format. Then click Export.
You can view property history on a specific deal record by hovering over a specific property in the About section and clicking See history. You can also click View property history on a specific deal record to see the historical values for all properties. You can sort the property history by the name of the property, the date the change was made on, and the source of the change.
Update a deal property value
Navigate to Deals and click the deal you'd like to update. In the About section, you can click directly on a deal property to enter a new value, then click Save in the bottom-left corner. You can also select View > View all properties to search for the property you'd like to update. Click on the property value to select or enter a new property value, then click Save.