Steps in sequences execute at 24-hour intervals. That means that all steps will execute at the time the contact was first enrolled.
By default, when you enroll a contact in a sequence, emails in the sequence are set to send on weekdays only. This prevents any emails from being sent over the weekend (Saturday or Sunday). If a step is set to execute on either of these days, it will occur on the following Monday at the time of day the contact was first enrolled.
Take this sample sequence:
- Send Template A.
- If no reply after 3 days, send Template B.
- If no reply after 3 days, send Template C.
A contact is enrolled in this sequence at 5 PM on Monday. Assuming the contact doesn't respond to any emails, here is the time/day each step will execute:
- The contact will receive Template A when enrolled at 5 PM on Monday.
- The contact will receive Template B at 5 PM on Thursday.
- The contact is scheduled to receive Template C at 5 PM on the following Sunday, but by default will be sent the email at 5 PM on Monday.
If you want contacts to be able to receive emails in your sequence on Saturday and Sunday, you can disable this setting on a contact-by-contact basis by clearing the Send follow-ups on weekdays only checkbox before enrolling a contact in your sequence.
Please note: if you have the Send follow-ups on weekdays only setting enabled for your sequence and the sequence is scheduled to start on a weekend day, the first email in your sequence will send on that weekend day (instead of the next weekday).
Customize sequence follow-up send times
You can customize when follow-up emails will be sent. When enrolling a contact in your sequence:
- In the upper right, click the Follow-up options dropdown menu.
- Select a follow-up send option:
- Send follow-ups at manually set time: specify a specific time for each email in your sequence.
- Send follow-ups within a time range: use the dropdown menus to set a time range for each follow-up email to execute in the sequence.
- Send follow-ups at recommended send times (Sales Hub Professional or Enterprise only): follow-up emails will be sent at a time with the highest open rate for that day. This time is determined by HubSpot.
- Click Apply.
If you are using sequences queues to enroll multiple contacts in a sequence, keep in mind that this feature will use rate limiting to spread out sequence email sending. If multiple contacts are enrolled within a short time span, the emails sends will stagger.