Forms | Frequently Asked Questions
Last updated: February 9, 2021
|All products and plans|
Find answers and general information quickly about the forms tool in HubSpot.
How do I test my HubSpot form for issues?
When you find that there are issues with your HubSpot form, it could stem from the HubSpot form itself, or the page that the form is embedded on. To find out where the issue comes from, you can troubleshoot your HubSpot form by testing the form itself.
To do this, share a link to a standalone page with the form. This page does not have any elements that adversely affects the form. Once you have the Share link, access the page, make a test submission and check the test submission.
If the submission is successful and is not affected by the error, the issue is likely related to the page where it was embedded on. In this case, check with your developer on the possible elements on the page that could've affected the submissions (e.g., scripts, stylesheets).
If the submission was also affected by the error, get further help from HubSpot.
What field validation is on HubSpot forms?
Email addresses entered into the Email field on a HubSpot form are immediately validated by HubSpot. Although email addresses cannot always be validated with complete accuracy, HubSpot will try to verify the following:
- Formatting: the text that the user entered must look like an email address, and the top level domain must appear in the public suffix list.
- Domain blocklist: the email address cannot be part of the list of email domains that HubSpot will automatically blocklist.
- DNS lookup: the email address must have an MX record or an A record.
- Deliverability: the email address must not be globally blocked.
If you want to build a form with custom validation rules, you can work with your developer to integrate your custom form with HubSpot using the HubSpot Forms API.
Why is a field not appearing on my live form?
If some fields are not being displayed on your form when you add it to a page, it is likely that the form has progressive profiling and HubSpot remembers you from previous interactions or testing. Progressive fields are hidden if the visitor has previously filled in the field or if the contact already has a value for the property.
Can I embed a HubSpot form in an email?
No, it is not possible to embed HubSpot forms in your emails. Forms are not supported in emails across common email clients due to security risks. Instead, it is best practice to place a call-to-action or a link to landing page with a form in the body of your email.
Forms and contact activity
Does HubSpot track activity before a contact converts on a form?
Yes. When a visitor lands on your site, HubSpot tracks their activity and identifies them as a unique visitor by setting tracking cookies in their browser. Once the visitor submits a form, HubSpot will try to associate the new contact record with any previously tracked activity.
If a visitor clears their cookies before submitting a form on your site, HubSpot will not be able to associate previously tracked activity with the new contact.
Why does my contact not have any page views even though they've submitted a form?
- The contact has chosen to block cookies.
- Cookie tracking is disabled in the form options.
- If you're using the HubSpot Forms API, the form is not set to pass a cookie.
Why are some of my contacts missing a value for IP Country, IP State or IP City?
HubSpot uses multiple third-party databases to try to match a visitor's IP address to their geographic location. There are two reasons why a contact's IP Country, IP State/Region, or IP City may be blank:
- Contacts must submit a form with cookie tracking enabled or interact with (open or click) a tracked HubSpot email to have an IP address associated with them.
- In some instances, HubSpot may not find a match for the geolocation properties against its databases. IP address location data can be inaccurate or spotty in certain geographical locations, so there may be instances where HubSpot cannot find data for all three IP properties.
Edit and customize forms
Why is a property not available as a field in the form editor?
If a property is not available as a form field, it may be because it is not set up to be shown in forms.
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Properties.
- Click the name of the property.
- Select the Show in forms checkbox. If your property has multiple options, ensure that the Show in forms switch is toggled on for each option you want to be able to use in your forms.
- In the bottom left, click Save.
Can I use a company/deal/ticket property as a field on my HubSpot form?
No. Only contact properties can be added as a field on a HubSpot form. If you have a Professional or Enterprise account, you can use a workflow to copy contact to company properties.
Can I use progressive profiling in a form with cookie tracking disabled?
No. When cookie tracking is disabled on a form, there's no tracking cookie for the form fields to reference to identify a contact and progressive profiling will not work.
Can I change the field validation text on my form?
How do I integrate my custom-built form with HubSpot?
If you need additional functionality that is not available with standard HubSpot forms, you can work with your developer to integrate your external forms with HubSpot using the HubSpot Forms API.
Can I customize form submission notification emails?
If you have a Professional or Enterprise account, you can use workflows to create and send custom internal notification emails in addition to the default form submission notification emails.
How do I set a contact's lifecycle stage with a form?
When a contact fills out a form, their lifecycle stage will be set to Lead by default. You can set a different lifecycle stage in one of two ways:
- Add the Lifecycle stage property to your form as a hidden field and set a default value.
- Set the Lifecycle stage property with a workflow (Professional and Enterprise accounts only).
Can I redirect visitors to different thank you pages based on their form responses?
No, it is not possible to send visitors to different thank you pages based on how they respond to questions on your form, unless you build a custom form and integrate it with HubSpot using the HubSpot Forms API.
Why do I have more form submissions than contacts?
Form submissions are recorded any time the Submit button on a form is clicked. If a form is submitted multiple times with the same email address, only one contact will be created, but each form submission will still be recorded. If a contact is deleted from HubSpot, their form submission will still appear, but they will no longer show up in a list filtered by the form's submissions.
Why did HubSpot record my form submission but not my page visit?
When a form submission does not record a page visit it's most likely because the IP address of the visitor has been excluded from your site analytics. If the visitor submits the form while on an excluded IP addresses their submission will be recorded in the form submission analytics but a page visit will not be counted. If you are a user in a HubSpot account and not on an excluded IP address your form submission and page visit will be counted.
Why aren't form submissions creating new contacts?
For a form submission to create a contact record in HubSpot, the default Email field must be used on your form. If not, you must allow form submissions without email addresses to create contacts.
If the form submission uses an email address already associated with a contact record, or if the submission is done in a browser with tracking cookies tied to an existing contact record, it will update the existing contact record and not create a new one. Learn more about how HubSpot deduplicates contacts and how to recreate contacts overwritten by form submissions.
Why was my contact's file removed from their form submission?
The HubSpot forms tool is equipped with virus detection that prevents suspicious files from being uploaded in form submissions. If a visitor submits a form with a file and a virus is detected, the message [File name] removed from submission will appear in the submission details.
Why is there additional company information displaying in my form notification?
If HubSpot has additional company information in our databases, HubSpot will auto populate this information to the bottom of the notification.
Why do I see 'No cookie was found for this submission' in my form submission?
There may be a number of reasons why you are seeing 'No cookie was found for this submission' in your form submission:
- The submission originated from an external integration via HubSpot's API and did not include a cookie.
- The visitor's browser had cookies blocked.
- Another contact record has the same cookie and Always create contacts for unique email is enabled.
- The visitor did not accept the cookie banner.
- The visitor submitted using a filtered IP address.
Why do I see 'No contact record' in my form submission?
If you don't allow form submissions without email addresses to create contacts, there are two reasons why you may see 'No contact record' in your form submission:
- The Email field is not included and/or required on your form.
- The contact associated with the submission has been deleted from HubSpot.
Why do I see 'No record' for the conversion page in my form submission?
If you see a 'No record' conversion page in your form submission, this means HubSpot wasn't able to determine where the submission occurred. This could be due to two reasons:
- If your form is embedded on an external page, the tracking code may not be installed or is not firing correctly.
- If you're using the HubSpot Forms API, the pageName and pageUrl parameters may not be passed in the form submission. These parameters are required for HubSpot to record the submission page. Learn more about the required parameters for form submissions via the API.
Use forms to gather important information about your visitors and contacts. In HubSpot, you can easily create...Knowledge Base
Add videos to your HubSpot content
With HubSpot video, you can upload videos to the files tool, then add them to pages, marketing emails, blog...Knowledge Base
Use HubSpot's integration with MailChimp
To add contacts who submit to your pop-up forms and non-HubSpot forms to your Mailchimp lists, you can...Knowledge Base