There are two different kinds of lists in your HubSpot Marketing Hub Starter, Basic, Professional, and Enterprise account: active lists and static lists.
Active lists are dynamic, meaning that they automatically update and contacts will join the list whenever they meet the criteria and leave the list when they no longer meet the criteria. For example, an active list would be valuable when you have an email campaign to a particular subset of your contacts running over time, and always want the list to update with new contacts who meet the criteria.
Static lists do not update as new contacts meet the criteria. Instead, they are a snapshot of a group of contacts who meet a certain set of requirements at a certain time. Contacts can be manually added and removed from static lists. A static list can be helpful to gain an understanding of contacts who met a certain criteria on a particular date. Then, you can look back at that static list later and see contacts who may no longer qualify for the criteria.
Please note: Marketing Hub Starter users can create 25 static lists and 25 active lists. Learn more about the features included in Marketing Hub Starter.
Create a new list
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Lists.
- In the upper right, click Create list.
- In the top left, click the pencil icon edit and enter a name for the list.
- In the upper left, click the dropdown menu and select whether it should be an Active list or Static list.
Select list criteria
- Next, set the criteria in the segmentation category you've chosen. In the example below, contacts are filtered by their Lifecycle stage contact property, with a value of Marketing Qualified Lead. Learn more about how to determine your list criteria.
- Once you've set your criteria, click Done. You'll see a list of contacts start populating on the right as you begin segmenting. This is a preview of the estimated number of contacts that will be added to your list.
- In the upper right, click Save. Your list may take a few minutes to process.
Perform more actions with your list
- In the upper right, use the search bar to search for a specific contact in your list.
- In the upper right, click the Actions dropdown menu to perform additional actions with your list:
- Edit columns
- Test a contact
- Create a report
- View list performace
- Resync list with Salesforce
- Use this list to limit Salesforce Sync
- In the upper left, click < Back to lists to return to your list dashboard, where you'll see your new list.
- Hover over the list and click Details to view additional information about your list.
- Click the More dropdown menu for the following options:
- Move to folder
- View list performance