Work with records
Last updated: September 8, 2021
|All products and plans|
Creating records in HubSpot enables your team to record and retrieve information on your business relationships and processes, maintaining consistency across your organization. Once created, you can store information on a contact, company, deal, ticket, or custom object by interacting with their record.
If you're on a mobile device, learn how to work with records in the HubSpot mobile app.
There are three main sections on a record:
- Left sidebar: the left panel of your record includes actions and the About section with the record's properties. The left sidebar of a contact record also includes Communication subscriptions and Website activity.
- Activity timeline: the middle panel of your record includes all activities associated with the record.
- Right sidebar: the right panel of your record includes previews of associated records and attachments. Depending on the object and your HubSpot subscription, this panel will also include other tools such as memberships, Playbooks, Salesforce sync, and Attribution.
View a record
- Navigate to your records:
- Contacts: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- Companies: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Companies.
- Deals: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Sales > Deals.
- Tickets: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Service > Tickets.
- Custom objects: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts, then click the dropdown menu in the top left and select the name of the custom object.
- On the record index page, locate the record you want to work with and click the name.
Actions and properties
The left sidebar shows the actions you can take on the record, as well as the record's properties. Learn how a user with Account access permissions can customize the left sidebar for all users and teams.
At the top of the left sidebar you can:
- Click the Actions dropdown menu:
- Follow: click to follow the record. By default, you follow all records you own. By following a record, you will receive notifications on updates to the record.
- View all properties: click to view all of the record's properties.
- View property history: click to view the history of the record's property values.
- Search in Google: for contacts and companies, click to search the record's name on Google.
- Opt out of email: for contacts, click to disable email communication with the contact's email address.
- Restore activity: click to view and restore associated engagements that were deleted within the last 90 days.
- Merge: click to merge the record with another.
- Delete: click to delete the record. Learn more about the data lost during a deletion.
- View the primary properties for the record. You can click the edit pencil icon to edit the record's name.
- For contact records:
- Click the contact picture to update the contact's image.
- Click the duplicate copy icon to the right of the contact's email to copy the email address to your clipboard.
- For company records:
- Click the company picture to update the company's image.
- Click the duplicate copy icon to the right of the company's domain or phone number to copy it to your clipboard.
- For contact records:
- For deal records:
- Click the Close date calendar to select a new close date.
- Click the Stage dropdown menu to update the deal stage.
- Click the Pipeline dropdown menu to update the pipeline the deal is in.
- For ticket records:
- Click the Status dropdown menu to select a new status.
- Click the Pipeline dropdown menu to update the pipeline the ticket is in.
- For deal records:
- Below the primary properties, interact with the record by clicking the respective icons.
- description Note: click to add a note to the record timeline.
- email Email: click to write a one-to-one email.
- calling Call: click to call.
- add Log: click to manually log an activity to the record timeline.
- tasks Task: click to create a task for the record.
- meetings Meet: click to set up a meeting for the record.
PropertiesYou can view and edit the record's property values on the About this [record] section. Learn how to edit the properties that appear in this section for you. Users with Super admin permissions can also customize the section for the users in the HubSpot account.
- To edit a property value, hover over the property and click the edit pencil icon.
- To view a specific property's history, hover over the property and click Details. You can also scroll down and click View property history to see the history of all property changes.
- To view all properties, click View all properties.
Communication subscriptions and website activity
On the left sidebar of a contact record, there are additional sections:
- In the Communication subscriptions section, view and edit the contact's subscriptions. This section is only available if you have GDPR functionality turned on. Learn how to add a subscription for the contact.
- In the Website activity section, view the contact's interactions with your website.
The middle panel shows activities relating to the record chronologically, with the latest activity at the top. You can view and filter activities in the following ways:
At the top of the record, click Expand all or Collapse all to expand or collapse the details of all timeline activities.
To quickly filter activities by type, click the tabs at the top.
In the Activity tab, you can filter more specific activities with the Filter activity dropdown menu.
To filter activities that are owned by a specific user or team, click the All users or All teams dropdown menus and select a user or team.
To search for a specific activity, click the search icon search in the upper right. The results returned are based on searching the terms in the following activity fields:
To collapse the details of a specific activity, click the down down arrow in the top left of the activity. Click the right right arrow in the top left of the activity to expand the details and edit.
- Hover over an activity, click Actions, and select an option to pin the activity to the top of the timeline, view the activity’s history, or delete the activity.
At the bottom of an activity, click Add comment to leave a comment or use the [x] associations dropdown menu to edit the activity's association with other records.
Associated records and attachments
On the right sidebar of a record, you can view previews of the record's associated records and attachments. You can rearrange the sections by dragging them, or collapse a section by clicking the down down arrow.
Record associations are displayed under the respective record sections on the right sidebar (i.e., Company, Deals, Tickets). Learn about associations.
To associate your record with another record:
- In the relevant record type section, click Add.
- You can either create a new record to associate with the record, or associate an existing record.
- To create a new record to associate the record with, in the Create a new [record] tab, enter information into the fields, and click Create.
- To associate an existing record, click the Add existing [record] tab, search for the record, and select the checkbox next to the record in the search results. Click Save.
You can attach files to the record. You can also view attachments that were sent as part of a logged email to a contact.
On the right sidebar of a record, you can also view and interact with additional tools associated with your records. You can rearrange the tool sections by dragging them, or collapse a section by clicking the down down arrow.
The tools that appear on the right sidebar will differ based on which objects you're working with, which are specified for each tool in the list below.
Account overview appears on the right sidebar of company records to show a high level summary of the company. The overview includes if the company is a target account, the number of contacts associated to the company, information on their buyer roles, and the last engagement and last touch with the company record based on its default company properties.
If you have a Sales Hub Professional or Enterprise seat, click View account details to see the following in the right panel:
- Activities associated to the company
- Contacts associated to the company
- Internal stakeholders, which are any HubSpot users who have created or been a part of activities associated to the company
- Deals associated to the company
- Tracked page views on your site from the contacts associated to the company.
Attribution reports (Marketing Hub or CMS Hub Professional and Enterprise only)
Attribution reports appear on the right sidebar of contact records and deal records. The Attribution section allows you to view existing or create multi-touch attribution reports. On contact records, if you’ve created a multi-touch contact create attribution report, you can view a report of the contact’s interactions with your business based on when the contacts were created.
- To edit which attribution model is shown in the report, click the Attribution model dropdown menu and select the type of model you want to view.
- On deal records, click to view a report of either Content or Interactions related to the contact activity associated with the deal.
- Click Show all interactions to view details of all interactions associated with the contact.
- Click Open attribution report builder to view and edit the report directly in the report builder.
Conversations appear on the right sidebar of ticket records, if the ticket is associated to a thread in the conversations inbox. To navigate directly to the conversation in the inbox, click the name of the conversation. The conversation will open in another browser tab where you can review the thread or follow up as needed.
Learn more about working with tickets in your inbox.
Line items appear on the right sidebar of deal records. You can associate line items, from the products library or newly created, to the deal. This helps users to understand what is being sold in the deal and for how much.
- If there are no line items associated to the deal record, click Add line items. If there are existing products associated to the deal record but you want to change it, click Edit line items.
- To associate products already created in the product library, click Add from library.
- To associate a new product, click Create line item, enter the details in the right panel, and click Save.
- Enter the quantity for each product associated.
- Click Save.
List and workflow memberships
List and workflow memberships appear on the right sidebar of contact records. The record's List memberships and Workflow memberships (Professional and Enterprise only) sections display the number of lists and workflows the contact is in.
- Click Manage list memberships to view all the lists the contact is part of. In the List memberships page, you can manage their registration to any private content.
- Click Manage workflow memberships to view all the workflows the contact was and is enrolled in. In the Workflow memberships page, you can enroll the contact in a workflow (Professional and Enterprise only).
Playbooks (Sales Hub or Service Hub Professional and Enterprise only)
Playbooks appear on the right sidebar of all records within Sales Hub or Service Hub Professional and Enterprise accounts. When interacting with a record, you can click a playbook to display certain prescribed questions or steps to guide the conversation.
Quotes appear on the right sidebar of deal records. When a sale is closed, you can create a quote document that you can send to contacts associated with the deal. To create a quote with details about the record's line items, click Create quote in the deal record.
Salesforce sync (Professional and Enterprise only)
Salesforce Sync appears on all records within Professional and Enterprise accounts if the record is syncing with Salesforce through the HubSpot-Salesforce integration. If the record isn't syncing with Salesforce or if you want to ensure the record remains synced to the Salesforce record, click Sync now.
Assign ownership of records
HubSpot uses the Contact owner, Company owner, Deal owner, and Ticket owner properties to set the ownership...Knowledge Base
Understand marketing contacts
If your Marketing Hub subscription includes marketing contacts, you can choose which contacts you'll be...Knowledge Base
Import one object
You can import files to create and update HubSpot records in bulk. This article explains how to import a...Knowledge Base