Work with your contact records
Last updated: June 11, 2021
|All products and plans|
Creating contact records in HubSpot enables your team to record and retrieve information on anyone your business interacts with, helping everyone to stay on the same page.
Once created, you can store and maintain information on a contact by interacting with their record.
View a contact record
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- In your contacts index page, locate the contact you want to work with and click their name. This will bring you to their record.
About and actions
The left panel shows the contact record's properties and the actions you can take on the record. Learn how a user with Account access can customize the left sidebar for all users and teams.
At the top, view and edit the primary properties for the record. You can click the profile picture to update the contact's image and the edit pencil icon to edit their name. In this section, click the duplicate copy icon to the right of the contact's email to copy the email address to your clipboard.
- At the top right of the left panel, click the Actions dropdown menu:
- Follow: click to follow the record. By default, you follow all records you own. By following a record, you will receive notifications on updates to the record.
- View all properties: click to view all of the record's properties.
- View property history: click to view the history of the record's property values.
- Search in Google: click to search the contact's name and company on Google.
- Opt out of email: click to disable email communication with the contact.
- Restore activity: click to view and restore associated engagements that were deleted within the last 90 days.
- Merge: click to merge the contact record with another.
- Delete: click to delete the contact record. Learn more about the data lost during a deletion.
- Below the primary properties, interact with the record by clicking the respective icons.
- View and edit the contact's property values in the About this contact section. Learn how to edit the properties that appear in this section for you. Admins can also customize the section for the users in the HubSpot account.
- To edit a property value, hover over the property and click the edit pencil icon.
- To view a specific property's history, hover over the property and click Details or scroll down and click View property history to see the history of all property changes.
- To view all properties, click View all properties.
- In the Communication subscriptions section, view and edit the contact's subscriptions. This section is only available if you have GDPR functionality turned on. Learn how to add a subscription for the contact.
- In the Website activity section, view the contact's interactions with your website.
Activities on the contact timeline
The middle panel shows activities relating to the contact chronologically, with the latest activity at the top. You can view and filter activities in the following ways:
At the top of the record, click Expand all or Collapse all to expand or collapse the details of all timeline activities.
To quickly filter activities by type, click the tabs at the top.
In the Activity tab, you can filter more specific activities with the Filter activity dropdown menu.
To filter activities that are owned by a specific user or team, click the All users or All teams dropdown menus and select a user or team.
To search for a specific activity, click the search icon search in the upper right. The results returned are based on searching the terms in the following activity fields:
To collapse the details of a specific activity, click the down down arrow in the top left of the activity. Click the right right arrow in the top left of the activity to expand the details and edit.
- Hover over an activity, click Actions, and select an option to pin the activity to the top of the timeline, view the activity’s history, or delete the activity.
At the bottom of an activity, click Add comment to leave a comment or use the [x] associations dropdown menu to edit the activity's association with other records.
Associated records and additional tools
In the right panel, view the other records and tools associated with the record. You can rearrange the sections by dragging them.
Record associations are displayed under the respective record type sections (i.e., Company, Deals, Tickets). Learn about associations.
To associate your contact record with another record:
- In the relevant record type section, click Add.
- You can either create a new record to associate to the contact, or associate an existing record to the contact.
- To create a new record to associate the contact to, in the Create a new [record] tab, enter information into the fields, and click Create.
- To associate an existing record, click the Add existing [record] tab, search for the record, and select the checkbox next to the record in the search results. Click Save.
You can attach files to the contact record. You can also view attachments that were sent as part of a logged email to the contact.
List and workflow memberships
- Click Manage list memberships to view all the lists the contact is part of. In the List memberships page, you can manage their registration to any private content.
- Click Manage workflow memberships to view all the workflows the contact was and is enrolled in. In the Workflow memberships page, you can enroll the contact in a workflow.
Playbooks (Sales Hub or Service Hub Professional and Enterprise only)
When communicating with the contact, you can click a playbook to display certain prescribed questions or steps to guide the conversation.
Salesforce sync (Professional and Enterprise only)
The Salesforce Sync section shows if the contact record is syncing with Salesforce through the HubSpot-Salesforce integration. If the contact isn't syncing with Salesforce or if you want to ensure the contact remains synced to the Salesforce record, click Sync now.
Use lifecycle stages
Categorize your contacts based on where they are in your marketing and sales processes. Using the Lifecycle...Knowledge Base
Understand marketing contacts
If your Marketing Hub subscription includes marketing contacts, you can choose which contacts you'll be...Knowledge Base
HubSpot's default contact properties
Contact properties store information about your contacts, such as their email address, or the last time they...Knowledge Base