Work with your deal records
Last updated: June 11, 2021
|All products and plans|
You can use deals in HubSpot to track potential revenue. Deals should be created whenever a contact takes an action that could lead to revenue, such as booking a meeting with you to discuss your product or service.
When created, a deal should be associated to the contacts and companies that you're working with, so relevant information from those records can enter your deal record as well. You can use a deal record to analyze, understand, and log information on the deal.
View a deal record
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Sales > Deals.
- In your deals index page, locate the deal you want to work with and click its name. This will bring you to its record.
About and actions
The left panel shows the deal record's properties and the actions you can perform. Learn how a user with admin access can customize the left sidebar for all users and teams.
- At the top, view and edit the primary properties for the record. You can click the edit pencil icon to edit their name, click the Close date dropdown menu to select a new close date, and click the Stage dropdown menu to update the deal stage.
- At the top right of the left panel, click the Actions dropdown menu:
- Follow: click to follow the record. By default, you follow all records you own. By following a record, you will receive notifications on updates to the record.
- View all properties: click to view all properties of the record.
- View property history: click to view the history of the property values of the record.
- Restore activity: click to view and restore associated engagements that were deleted within the last 90 days.
- Merge: click to merge deal records.
- Delete: click to delete the deal record.
- Interact with the record by clicking the respective icons.
- description Note: click to add a note.
- email Email: click to write a one-to-one email to an associated contact.
- calling Call: click to call an associated contact.
- add Log: click to manually log an activity.
- tasks Task: click to create a task for the record.
- meetings Meet: click to set up a meeting with the deal's associated contacts.
- View and edit the deal's property values in the About this deal section. Learn how to edit the properties that appear in this section for you. Admins can customize the section for the users in the HubSpot account.
- To edit a property value, hover over the property and click the edit pencil icon.
- To view a specific property's history, hover over the property and click See history or scroll down and click View property history to see the history of all property changes.
- To view all properties, click View all properties.
Log and view activities on your deal timeline
The middle panel shows activities relating to the deal chronologically, with the latest activity at the top. You can filter activities in the following ways:
At the top of the record, click Expand all or Collapse all to expand or collapse the details of all timeline activities.
To quickly filter activities by type, click the tabs at the top.
- To filter more specific activities, click the Filter by dropdown menu .
- To filter activities that are owned by a specific user or team, click the All users or All teams dropdown menus and select a user or team .
- To search for a specific activity, click the search search icon in the upper right. Based on the terms you enter, the tool retrieves activities by searching the following fields in the timeline activities:
- Task subject
- Task body
- Note body
- Call body
- Email subject
- Meeting body
To collapse the details of a specific activity, click the down down arrow in the top left of the activity. Click the right right arrow in the top left of the activity to expand the details and edit.
Hover over an activity, click Actions, and select an option to pin the activity to the top of the timeline, view the activity’s history, or delete the activity.
At the bottom of an activity, click Add comment to leave a comment or use the [x] associations dropdown menu to edit the activity's association with other records.
Associated records and additional tools
In the right panel, view the other records and tools associated with the record. You can rearrange the sections by dragging them.
Record associations are displayed under the respective record type sections (i.e., Contacts, Companies, Tickets). Learn about associations between different records.
To associate your deal record with another record:
- In the relevant record type section, click Add.
- You can either create a new record to associate to the contact, or associate an existing record to the contact.
- To create a new record to associate the ticket to, in the Create a new [record] tab, enter information into the fields, and click Create.
- To associate an existing record, click the Add existing [record] tab, search for the record, and select the checkbox next to the record in the search results. Click Save.
Playbooks (Sales Hub or Service Hub Professional and Enterprise only)
When communicating with the contact, you can click a playbook to display certain prescribed questions or steps to prepare yourself better.
- If there are no line items associated to the deal record, click Add line items. If there are existing products associated to the deal record but you want to change it, click Edit line items.
- To associate products already created in the product library, click Add from library.
- To associate a new product, click Create line item, enter the details in the right panel, and click Save.
- Enter the quantity for each product associated.
- Click Save.
When the sale is closed, you can create a quote document that you can send to the contact associated to the deal. To create a quote with details about the record's line items, click Create quote in the deal record.
You can attach files to the deal record by clicking Upload file or Add file. You can also view attachments that were sent as part of a logged email to a contact who is associated to the deal record.
Salesforce Sync (Professional and Enterprise only)
The Salesforce Sync section only appears if you have the HubSpot-Salesforce integration installed. It shows if the deal record is syncing with Salesforce. If the deal isn't syncing with Salesforce or if you want to ensure the deal remains synced to the Salesforce opportunity record, click Sync now.
Attribution (Marketing Hub Enterprise only)
The Attribution section leads you to create a multi-touch revenue attribution report.
Set up your import files
Whether HubSpot is your first CRM or you’re moving from another system, importing helps you create records...Knowledge Base
Deduplicate records in HubSpot
HubSpot automatically deduplicates contacts using email addresses, and companies using domain names. Object...Knowledge Base
Import one object
You can import files to create and update HubSpot records in bulk. This article explains how to import a...Knowledge Base