In order to maintain data consistency and more sales opportunities, you often need to pass information between contacts and companies. This is made possible in HubSpot with a workflows action that enables you to copy values from a company to a contact property or vice versa.
- Navigate to workflows:
- In your Marketing Professional or Enterprise account, navigate to Contacts > Workflows.
- In your Sales Professional account, navigate to Sales Tools > Workflows.
- In the workflows dashboard, click Create workflow in the upper right, or click the name of an existing workflow.
- Select a starting condition for your enrollment criteria.
- Click the + button to add an action.
- First, select Copy contact property value from the action menu.
- Select your Source contact property (e.g. City.)
- For the Target property type, select Company property.
- Next, select your Target property. This will be your target Company property (e.g. City.)
- In our example, we are copying the value from the contact City property into the company City property as we would like to see this information on the company level. Another great example is if you have a custom date property showing a contact’s last login into a product, you may want to stamp that same date on the company object so you know when a company was last engaged with your product.
Please note: the source and target properties must be the same type in order to be copied. Incompatible properties will not appear as options in the target property in your workflow action. Learn more about this in this article.
- Click Save.
If you would like to copy a company property's value into a contact property, follow the same steps above. The fundamental difference is that you will select the Copy company property action first, then choose the target property type Contact property. You will need this whenever the company object has information that you want to make sure all its contacts share. For example, you may have an industry field that you would like to stamp on each contact associated with that company.