In order to maintain data consistency and more sales opportunities, you often need to pass information between the two primary marketing objects, contacts and companies. Now this has become easier with a new Workflows action that enables you to copy values from a Company to a Contact property or vice versa.
Please note that this option will only show for portals that are using the company object in HubSpot.
- Navigate in HubSpot Marketing to Contacts > Workflows.
- Click New workflow - In the case you would like to add the action to an existing workflow, simply click the name of the workflow in question.
- Select a starting condition for your enrollment criteria.
- Click the + button to add an action.
- First, select Copy contact property value from the action menu.
- In the pop-up modal, select your Source contact property.
- For the Target property type select Company property.
- Next, select your Target property. This will be your Company property.
- In our example, we are copying the value from the Contact City property into the Company City property as we would like to see this information on the company level. Another great example is if you have a custom date property showing a contact’s last login into a product, you may want to stamp that same date on the company object so you know when a company was last engaged with your product.
- Please note that some properties will not be able to be copied to if they have different types. For example, it is not possible to copy values from a date property to an enumeration property, but it is possible to copy values from an enumeration property to a single line text property. Incompatible properties will not appear as options in the target property in your workflow action. It is also not possible to copy values into properties that HubSpot automatically sets (i.e. Original Source Type, Create Date).
- Click Save.
In the case you would like to copy a Company property's value into a Contact property, follow the same methodology just detailed - The big difference is that you will select the Copy company property action then select the source Company property, followed by choosing the Target property type Contact property, and lastly select actual the target Contact property to copy into. You will need this whenever the company object has information that you want to make sure all its Contacts share. For example, you may have an industry field that you would like to stamp on each contact associated with that company.